Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ah, the holidays

The in-laws arrived on Thursday evening and since then almost every moment of each day has been about food - shopping at Central Market, preparing to eat, eating, and then cleaning up. Tonight we're headed to III Forks, which I hear is quite good if you like steak. Unfortunately, the smell of meat is really starting to bother me (yes, I'm becoming one of THOSE kinds of vegetarians), so we'll see how it goes. I'll be wearing the new dress and coat that the nice personal shopper picked out for me at Nordstroms, so at least there's that.

Hardly doing any "Christmas-y" things, though I did enjoy the heck out of "White Christmas" last night. Bing Crosby is always fabulous and I love marveling at how small Vera Ellen's waist is. I've been baking fruit cakes, and all of the presents I bought are wrapped and under the tree, and sometimes I hear Christmas music and don't have the urge to vomit. I guess I haven't really enjoyed Christmas since Dad died, and I wonder if holidays really ARE harder once you've lost a loved one, or if they just seem harder because everyone says they should be. I do find myself thinking about him more, and missing him more, and I'm certain Mom feels the same way. I haven't watched "A Christmas Story" yet this year - it was always a thing for us to do together, and it always reminds me so much of the way he described his childhood. But it must be done - it's not Christmas without Ralphie
.

No comments: