Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 rolls in not with a bang, but with a whimper

Day 5 of the cold that won't end, but I'm finally mostly feeling better. Enjoyed New Year's Eve dinner with some friends, but we were at home in bed by 10 pm. The celebration mostly consisted of Tetris, fabulous food (including dueling and practically identical salads from the 2 Beckys in attendance), and a heated discussion of the best and worst movies of the year. Continuing that thread, here's my list. Keep in mind, this is just the stuff I've seen, including numerous trips to the Alamo, this year's Fantastic Fest and the Austin Film Festival:

The Best:
Juno
Enchanted
Persepolis
There Will Be Blood
Mirage Man
Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimes)
The Orphanage
Mongol

The Worst:
Poughkipsee Tapes
Spiderman 3
Wrong Turn 2 (but I still love you, Henry)
The Last Winter
Postal (though, admittedly, a great Q&A)

Honorable mentions:
Once, I Am Legend, Kabluey, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

My head is still a little fuzzy from all of the cold medicine, so I'm sure I'm missing some great and terrible movies. Took a walk with the dog this morning and tried to think about the year. Haven't come to any conclusions yet, so maybe I'll post that part tomorrow.

No comments: