Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Today, Today, Today

In my new capacity as a Komen Austin Affiliate board member I had the opportunity today to have lunch with an amazing young woman who has been diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 24. She has an incredible story and a willingness to share that I'm in awe of. Her story isn't mine to tell, but I was at lunch to talk about options for how she can work with Komen to get her message out, so keep an eye on the Komen Austin Blog and our Facebook Group as hopefully that's to come.

My personal take away from lunch is that it's really important for me to own my health and I'm sure I'll now be much more insistent in general with doctors when I think something is wrong. I think there's a tendency even at my age to think that breast cancer isn't something to worry about yet. Even though I don't know my medical history my GP and gynecologist have both said that 35 is the absolute earliest I should get a mammogram and really that 40 is "probably fine." Of course, I want to think that I'm healthy so it's easy to go along with it.

Every day I'm more committed to the cause of finding a cure for this wretched disease. As George says, we need a cure "today, today, today." You can join the fight by racing with me on November 2nd or visiting the Komen site to learn more.


Disclaimer - The postings on this site are my own and don’t represent Komen Austin positions, strategies or opinions.

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

nov 2, huh......hmmmmmmm