Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All I Want for Christmas is a Vitamix



I really love smoothies and I don't like Jamba Juice (too sweet) or Daily Juice (too far from my house/filled with hippies.) So, I make them at home.

Trouble is, my crappy blender can't blend all of the delectable things I put in (greens like kale, romaine lettuce or spinach have found their way in, as have beets, carrots and of course assorted fruits).

A man was selling fancy blenders at Costco once for $300 and I wouldn't let John buy one. The Vitamix 5200 pictured here retails for closer to $500 and I'm pretty serious about wanting one. Because even if you like beets in your smoothies (who doesn't!???), trust me when I say that you want them blended up really well.

My recipe, you ask? Sure...
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 to 1 cup water, depending on thickness
4-6 ice cubes
2 cups assorted frozen fruit (banana, mango, blueberries - all fantastic!)
2 big handfuls of leafy greens, the greener the better

The blender should be full all the way to the top, and if you have a crappy blender like mine you'll have to periodically stop/re-start to shake it up to help things along. Half an apple gets rid of the kale taste - the other greens are easier to hide.

2 comments:

fayrene said...

What about the Blendtec Total Blender? (www.willitblend.com)

brickmomma said...

I had been wondering what your vitamix was via FB...now I know!