Sunday, June 1, 2008

Young Love

As I've previously mentioned, I've been big time into Young Adult books lately. I'm now re-reading Stephenie Meyer's new one, The Host. A really great read, although this one took me a little longer to get into then the Twilight series. The back cover compares her to Isaac Asimov, and I have to say it's not a bad comparison. I love Asimov - the Ender series is particularly incredible - and mid-way through the 2nd reading, I agree that Meyers has managed to create a completely believable sci-fi story that captures a lot of the same emotion that Asimov has when he's at his best. The Host is a fantastic read and I immediately started it again after finishing cause I was so stressed out by the plot line the first time (agonizing about these characters I really came to love, much like with Twilight) that I knew I'd be able to enjoy it more on the 2nd reading.

That said, I think I'm going to take a break from YA after this one, or at least choose something that doesn't center on a love story. It has been a long time since I experienced teenage love. Even though I was on the older side (19) and probably smarter about it than most (I have always been nothing if not responsible) it was still pretty consuming - my emotions turning on a dime, thinking about him constantly, obsessing over every single moment. I married that guy, and I think we've transitioned quite nicely into a sustainable, mostly wonderful grown-up version. I would still walk through fire to be with him, but I don't anticipate needing to do so any time soon. But the teenage love stories are starting to muddle my brain a bit, and I sometimes find myself feeling wistful. Today, at the airport, all I got was a sideways hug while he was still belted in, a quick kiss, and then I got my own bag out of the car. Perfectly acceptable since I'm only gone for 3 days and I travel pretty frequently on business, but for a minute I was kindof pissed. Where was the declaration that he would die without me? The sweeping me up in a passionate kiss like I was the last woman on the face of the earth? Never mind that either would have made me extremely uncomfortable cause I'm not really that kind of girl, it still took me about 20 minutes to shake the feeling that I was missing something.

I'll probably pick up a new book while I'm here - maybe a nice presidential biography, or something about food. Anyone have any good books to cleanse my palette?

3 comments:

Johnny Rollerfeet said...

ummm...Asimov is the Foundation series (among others) which is just as great as Card's Ender series...

Johnny Rollerfeet said...

...and maybe you should switch books, because the only thing that's wrong with us is how poorly you load the dishwasher... :D

brickmomma said...

i can relate to the wistful feeling. john and i have been together since i was 16......