Thursday, January 24, 2008

They called me Ma'am at the Tattoo Parlor

Yesterday marked 6 months exactly since I picked out my ink, so I headed over to True Blue in the afternoon with my tiny drawing in hand. The studio was brighter and cleaner then I'd expected, with loads of awesome artwork on the walls and rockabilly on the stereo. Lee (who it turns out did Jen's neat Warhol banana) was behind the counter playing on YouTube, where he repeatedly watched this admittedly pretty cool video of a dog attacking a shark. The super cute artist Briza exclaimed "it's so small!" when I showed her what I wanted, but after that she was very sweet about me being old and kindof lame. In the span of the 45 minutes or so that I was there, they called me ma'am twice and referred to me "as this nice lady" another 3 times. (sigh)

I was a little nervous, but went through with it anyway. It actually didn't hurt at all, I was more freaked out that the sound of the needle reminded me of the dentist. The prep took a little while, but after all of 5 minutes of actual needle time, I was bandaged up and sent on my way.

I like how it looks, and I like having it. We'll see how I feel about it once I get used to it, I guess. It's somewhat hidden (on my back between my shoulder blades), so right now it's kindof like wearing super fancy a-team underwear. I know it's there and I get to decide who to show it to.

No comments: