Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Year of the Handstand, Continued

My 30th year was supposed to be the year that I learned how to do a free standing handstand as part of my yoga practice. (I like to set goals for myself each year - run a marathon, do a triathalon, etc - and as I get increasingly devoted to yoga the handstand seemed like a good idea). I adopted a more serious practice, started going to more Ashtanga and advanced classes, and hired a personal trainer to help with strength/balance issues.

So here I am 4 days before my 31st birthday. Probably loads closer to my goal, but it still doesn't feel anywhere close. Mandy's advanced hatha class today was generally really fun and inspiring, but when we were paired up to work on handstands, I was a bit dismayed to be paired with a gorgeous and amazing yoga teacher who I'm really intimidated by. She was helpful and not at all judge-y, but I still kindof felt like a loser.

No comments: